Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Sex, shame and solidarity.

Is there really so little going on in the World that Eliot Spitzer's sexual affairs should be dominating the news broadcasts? Maybe something like a war, or an economic recession? Who am I kidding, nothing makes for better news than a respected democrat leader caught with his pants down.

Prostitution is illegal in New York and I believe the negative attention he receives for knowingly breaking a law (which he dedicated much of his career to enforcing) is justified. That being said, I find the "sex scandal" that is erupting on news broadcasts, websites and blogs disheartening. While I would not expect the Main Stream Media to direct its focus on either the rights and wellbeing of sex workers or the exploitation of women, I am disappointed that the "story" is being made of his wife's reaction or lack thereof.

I am appalled that it should come to be an issue whether or not a wife (or husband) would publicly stand beside their partner when apologizing for adultery. This has even become a point of contention amongst Democrats as some feel that Hillary Clinton's continued relationship with her husband was a "let down" for women across the country. Personally, I feel that women are "let down" when they let their lives and their relationships become a commodity. I feel that women are "let down" when they are publicly scrutinized for their private relationships of which we know next to nothing about. I feel that women AND men are let down when we encourage and support the concept of sexual ownership. I feel that America is let down when people can't define their own relationships, goals, expectations and sexuality.

Mostly, I just feel like shouting "WHO THE HELL CARES?!" off of my rooftop. Maybe someday this sort of public scandal will be used a spring board to discuss human trafficking, male privilege or sex workers rights... maybe in Europe.

No comments: